If you have seen other people buying unfinished base cabinets, you may wonder why you must buy them. You may wonder why you must choose unfinished cabinets as there are some cheap cabinets available on the market. It is true that buying cheap cabinets can save you a lot of money, but there are also some issues that you must know.
Cheap Cabinets VS Unfinished Base Cabinets
If you are still not sure whether you must choose unfinished base cabinets or cheap cabinets, then let’s learn its pros and cons first. You may think that buying cheap cabinets is a good idea. However, you may notice that you may end up wasting more money after a short period of time.
The biggest issue is that you need to deal with the cost of repairing. Another issue is that if you want to replace the cabinets, then there is more money that you need to spend. Due to this reason, it is obvious that buying cheap cabinets is not a good idea as it costs more in the long run.
So if you have two options whether you must choose unfinished base cabinets or cheap cabinets, then choosing an unfinished base cabinet is always better.
Once you have learned why buying an unfinished base cabinet is better than purchasing cheap cabinets, it is time to learn how you can get the best one. Keep in mind that there are some factors that should be considered when you are looking for best-unfinished cabinets. Check our tips below.
How to Find the Best Unfinished Base Cabinets
The following are some important tips that you must the next time you are looking for new unfinished cabinets. By learning these factors, you will learn how to find the best one without wasting your money.
1. Don’t Choose the Most Expensive Wood
Well, you may think that choosing the most expensive wood is a good idea. It is not exactly true. There is no need to look for solid wood for the non-visible portions of your cabinets. Choose solid wood for some parts such as drawers, doors, and the visible elements of the frame.
Is there a better option? Of course, there is a better option as you can choose plywood. What makes plywood better than solid wood? There are many benefits offered by plywood. Check its advantages below.
Advantages of Choosing Plywood
Check some advantages of plywood that we have listed below so that you know why you must choose plywood over solid wood.
- Plywood Looks as Great as Solid Wood. This is the first reason why you must choose plywood over solid wood. While solid wood is expensive, you can expect the same result if you choose plywood. To make it look better, a good quality veneer can be used.
- It is Very Durable. The next reason why you must choose plywood is that it is very durable. It is very good at resisting sharp blows, thus you can ensure that the cabinet you choose will look good for a long period of time.
- It is Strong. Many would agree that solid wood is strong, but you can also get the same character if you choose plywood. In fact, plywood is stronger than solid wood. The biggest difference is that solid wood tends to be stronger along the grain, but plywood has the strength that is well and evenly distributed.
- Plywood is available in large Sizes. Another good reason why you must choose plywood is that it is available in large sizes. It means that there are more options that you can get with that size.
- It doesn’t Split Easily. The biggest issue of using solid wood is its tendency to split along the grain. But if you choose plywood, you won’t encounter this issue. In fact, plywood doesn’t split that easily. The main reason is due to its cross-layered structure.
2. Start with the Lighter Stain
There are some situations in which you are not sure what look that you want in the end. When you are staining the cabinets, the best idea that you can do is to start with the lighter stain. By using the lighter stain, it allows you to add more applications of stains. Since it is almost impossible to undo a dark stain, starting with the lighter stain is always a good idea.
Make sure that you also paint or stain the surfaces that are not always unseen. Some parts such as the edges of the doors and drawer fronts should be painted. Of course, there are also some surfaces that you don’t need to finish. For example, there is no need to finish mounting surfaces for counters.
3. Design Your Kitchen from the Ground Up
Some people may think that they shouldn’t design their kitchen from the ground up when buying unfinished cabinets. Well, it is important that you design your kitchen from the ground up even if you use an unfinished base cabinet.
By considering some factors such as the accessories that are used, the types of hardware, and the design of the cabinets, it would help you a lot when designing your kitchen with these unfinished cabinets. If you are not sure how to design the kitchen, then you can hire professionals to handle this job.
This is some important information that you must know the next time you are looking for the best-unfinished base cabinet. Some people think that buying an unfinished base cabinet means that they will get lower quality cabinetry. If you read our tips above, then finding high-quality unfinished cabinets is not difficult.
When buying these cabinets, it is important that you consider your budget. There is no need to look for solid wood as you can choose plywood which is stronger. It goes without saying that the biggest reason for buying an unfinished base cabinet is that we can save more money in the future.
However, cost alone is not the only factor that you must check. It is always important to find high-quality unfinished base cabinets.